NOAA BIG Barbara Tobe SCHOLARSHIP
NOAA BIG Barbara Tobe Scholarship
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) support equal employment opportunity and diversity in the workforce. It actively seeks and recruits women and minorities for current and future employment. To that end, in 1996, the NOAA Chapter of Blacks In Government (BIG) established an African American Scholarship Committee that awards $1,000 scholarships each year to graduating seniors from local area high schools who plan to attend college immediately after high school. The primary purpose of the scholarship was to assist exceptional African American students with college expenses and to introduce them to NOAA and future career possibilities. To date, the Scholarship Committee has awarded over $69,000 to local students.
WHO MAY APPLY?
- Any high school graduate of a current NOAA employee or NOAA contract employee who graduated high school in 2019 and 2020 may apply. We will be accepting applications from June 8-22, 2020.
WHAT IS THE GENERAL CRITERIA?
Each applicant for the scholarship must indicate a desire to major or minor in one of the following NOAA-related categories: any of the sciences e.g. biology, physics, chemistry, oceanography, atmospheric sciences, meteorology; mathematics, computer science, engineering, information or management technology; business, management, administration, contracts, law, aviation, geography, medicine, or related fields. In general, any college major or minor that relates to the oceans or the atmosphere or any major or minor that supports the NOAA administrative or managerial infrastructure.
WHAT IS THE SPECIFIC CRITERIA?
In addition to the above, each student that applies for the NOAA BIG Barbara Tobe Scholarship must meet the following criteria:
- Scholastic Achievement– must have a cumulative 3.0 or better grade point average.
- School Activities– must have participated in and excelled in an authorized school activity, e.g. band, football, cheerleading, 4H Club, computer club, science fair, etc. Excellence in a school activity is evidenced through awards received, recognition from peers, teachers, administrators, or sponsors.
- Leadership– must have demonstrated exceptional leadership abilities through personal achievements or from holding an office in an authorized school activity.
- Community Outreach– must have demonstrated a keen or abiding interest in the community from participation in community related activities e.g. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, YMCA, YMCA, church choir, homeless shelters, food drives, Humane Society, etc.
- Special Talents/Award– identify any special talents e.g. musical, voice, dance, chess, pageant winner, science/math fair, etc.
- Moral Character– must exemplify the highest standards in good moral character.
HOW DO I SUBMIT MY APPLICATION AND OTHER REQUIRED INFORMATION?
Please click here to complete the google application:
- NOAA BIG Barbara Tobe Scholarship Application, once the system sends you your completed application, please forward it and attach any other required documentation needed to email@example.com all applications and documentation must submitted by 5:00pm on June 22, 2020.
- If more information is needed, please contact Camille Jones @ 301-427-8152, or Camille.Jones@noaa.gov or visit http://noaabig.org/calendar/scholarships/ .
All applications and required information must be submitted by 5:00pm on June 22, 2020.